We’ve all had it happen…you’re out for a leisurely drive, minding your own business, when suddenly a rock flies out from under the truck in front of you like an artillery shell and puts a scratch or crack right in your windshield.
So what are you going to do?
If you’ve been wondering how to get scratches out of a Plexiglass windshield, this one’s for you!
How to Remove Plexiglass Scratches
Don’t worry, it’s not as hard as you think. Here’s how to remove Plexiglass scratches the right way!
1. Use a scratch remover. Acrylic scratch removers work well on Plexiglass and can be used in many ways: using the tip to scrub the scratch, using the pad to buff away the scratch, or spraying the solution onto the surface wiping it off.
2. Use an abrasive polish. Abrasive polishes are ideal for removing scratches from Plexiglass, but be cautious when using them as they can easily damage the surface.
Simply apply the polish to the scratched area and rub it with a cloth or sandpaper until the scratch disappears.
This is particularly useful if you were cutting Plexiglass and accidentally put a small crack in the sheet.
3. Repair the Plexiglass with epoxy resin. If repair is required, epoxy resins for gluing plexiglass work the best as they hold up well to wear and tear and can be sanded or polished back into shape if necessary.
Just be sure to consult with an expert before undertaking any repairs – it’s easy to make mistakes that cause you to purchase a brand-new windshield.
Will toothpaste take scratches out of Plexiglass?
This will depend on the severity and location of the scratches. In general, toothpaste can help remove minor scratches from Plexiglass or Lexan.
Toothpaste does have a tendency to make larger scratches worse, so use sparingly and only if the scratches are minor.
Also, be careful not to apply too much pressure when scrubbing the toothpaste onto the Plexiglass – you don’t want to damage the surface.
If you manage to remove small scratches from Plexiglass using toothpaste, clean the area thoroughly with a clean cloth or microfiber towel immediately afterward.
This will help ensure that any leftover toothpaste doesn’t create additional problems down the line.
Can you make scratched Plexiglass clear again?
A few scratches can definitely impair the clarity of a Plexiglass surface. In most cases, though, clear Plexiglass can be restored with a little elbow grease and some common household items.
Here are a few tips to help get your Plexiglass looking good as new:
- Use a scratch remover: Most scratch removers work by removing the top layer of the Plexiglass. This will usually take care of most small scratches, but larger ones will likely require more aggressive methods.
- Use a window cleaner: A water and window cleaner mix can also work well to clear up Plexiglass windshields. Just be sure to rinse off the Plexiglas thoroughly after cleaning to avoid leaving any residue behind.
- Use petroleum jelly: Another option is to use petroleum jelly. This product can act as an adhesive and help to fill in larger scratches on the Plexiglas surface. Be careful not to use too much, though, or you may end up with a sticky mess on your hands!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can you buff Plexiglass?
Yes. To buff Plexiglass, you’ll need a light buffer like wax, a clean cloth, and some elbow grease. First, start by cleaning the surface of the Plexiglass with the wax buffer. Make sure to use a light touch so you don’t damage the plastic. Then, use the cloth to buff away any scratches or blemishes.
Are Magic Erasers safe on a windshield?
Yes, Magic Erasers can be used safely on windshields. However, we don’t advise doing this too often, as prolonged usage can cause cracks in the windshield. Magic Erasers are NOT recommended for tinted windows.
Do windshield repair kits really work?
Yes, they do. If a crack in your windshield isn’t too deep, the kits contain everything you will need to repair it.